Thursday, May 27, 2010

Rahm-ro.


There are a lot of things that I want to say about my time in Patle Village, Nepal. It was four weeks in which I felt like the rest of the world didn't exist, but I thought about it all quite a bit. I hate the phrase 'it was a life changing experience' and well, it wasn't really, but it has left a few impressions. There will be time later for more details. Above is a picture of the school I taught in.



This is a picture of Class Six. There are thirty six of them in the class and they have to share the classroom with the cement and all the building materials for the library, which is being built outside the window. I liked them a lot, they were funny. Once the village dog came and slept on the floor as I taught.

Rahm-ro is a Nepalese word that has a range of meanings- it all depends on the context. It can mean beautiful, well done or wonderful. I used it a lot while I was in Patle.

8 comments:

  1. Nicola,
    It's really great to have you back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Back from the wilderness? What a great experience. I'm sure that you also contributed much more than you got. 'Rahm-ro' is a nice concept although Richard will distort it to 'Rambo' I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rambo is stronger than Comeinyourpants, can fire complicated weapons and doesn't wet himself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Right on que. He is a bit of a distorted character anyway.

    Nicola

    ReplyDelete
  5. So nice to have you back Nic! Were they not allowed to put their bags on the floor or did they just like to write on big piles of books and bags?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ha, yes the bags. For the first week I would spend the first few minutes of every class (which are only 45mins anyway) trying to get everyone to clear the desks of bags and books they are not using- they were reluctant. But it seems they write just as well this way and the floors are dusty and there isn't much room. It bugged me at first, but like so many other things, I learnt to let it be and things were no worse.

    Nic

    ReplyDelete
  7. Probably a good thing that these kids aren't bass baggers.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looking forward to further chronicles of your travels.

    ReplyDelete